This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
All records that have identifiable medical and insurance information must be handled and discarded in a way that ensures the privacy and security of the records. Moab Regional Hospital is required by law to maintain the privacy of protected health information and to provide individuals with notice of its legal duties and privacy practices in regard to protected health information.
Amending This Notice
Moab Regional Hospital reserves the right to amend this notice. Any amendments may be effective for medical information received from you in the past of future. If the notice is amended a copy of the most recent notice will be available for review at the admissions desk.
Your medical information may be used for many purposes, including:
- Delivery of health care
- Public and hospital census information (unless otherwise requested)
- Payment of doctors and other providers involved in your care
- Measurement and improvement of care and services
- Public Health
Preventive health and disease management programs
- Investigation of complaints
- Release to law enforcement personnel or upon subpoena as required by law
- Organ and tissue donation
Disclosures to Employers and Insurance Companies
Disclosure of information to employers and insurance companies is limited to the information they need to administer your health plan. They must identify persons or positions that may have access to the information and must ensure there are measures in place to prevent unauthorized access.
Practitioners and providers are expected to abide by the confidentiality policies established by Moab Regional Hospital that address the disclosure of medical information, patient access to medical information, and the storage/protection of medical information. Moab Regional Hospital reviews practitioner confidentiality processes during pre-contractual negotiations for primary care physicians.
Quality Improvement Measurement
Data for quality improvement measures are collected from patient medical records. Moab Regional Hospital protects your medical information by ensuring that medical records are reviewed in non-public areas, and that reports do not include patient identifiable information.
Appointment Reminders and Treatment Alternatives
Moab Regional Hospital may contact you to provide appointment reminders or information about treatment alternatives or other health related benefits and services that may be of interest to you.
Moab Regional Hospital respects the need for security regarding your personal information is protected using encrypting technology and Secure Socket Layering. SSL is an industry standard that encrypts the information, to avoid the decoding of that information by anyone other than contracted companies. Unauthorized users will not have access to your personal information.
Consent for Release of Information for Other Purposes (Special)
All other disclosures of your medical information will only be made with your written permission. You may revoke your permission for these other uses at any time; however any information already disclosed may not be returned. Other disclosures may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Release of information to a lawyer
- Release of information from behavioral health care practitioners (mental health and substance abuse providers) to your primary care physician or specialist.
Your Access to Medical Records
- You may access your medical records by submitting a request in writing to our medical records department.
- You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of your medical record. There may be a charge for this service.
- If you feel that the information in your medical record is incorrect you may submit a written request for an amendment to your record. The written request should include the reason for your requested amendment. Moab Regional Hospital reserves the right to deny your requested amendment if the information to be amended was not generated by our facility, is not part of your medical information, or is accurate and complete.
- Family members or other authorized representatives may have access to your medical information only when you give written permission.
Right to Accounting Disclosures
You have the right to request a list of disclosures of your medical information made to other entities, by submitting a request in writing to our medical records department. Your request must specify a time period no longer than six years and not including dates before April 14, 2003. The first list is free, but subsequent lists may be supplied for a small fee.
Right to Request Restrictions
You have the right to request a restriction or limitation on the medical information we use or disclose for treatment, payment, or health care operations. A request must be presented in writing and include the specific information that you want restricted and the specific restrictions on use and disclosure that you desire. Moab Regional Hospital reserves the right not to comply with your request if it would adversely affect your medical treatment.
Right to Request Confidential Communications
You have the right to request that communication regarding medical matters be conducted only in a specific manner. Your request must be made in writing and submitted to the medical records department, and must specify how you wish to be contacted. Moab Regional Hospital will comply with all reasonable requests.
Right to Obtain a Copy of This Notice
You have the right to be given a copy of this notice. You may request it from the admissions desk at any time.
If you believe that your rights have been violated you may file a complaint with Moab Regional Hospital, or the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. All complaints must be submitted in writing. Moab Regional Hospital will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
This policy is effective as of April 14, 2003.